Wednesday 12 December 2007

Finally on our way...

After weeks of preparation we are finally on our way. Last week ended up being a manic rush to clear up loose ends at work. Inevitably that spilled over into this week and I finally finished the last task on my to-do list this morning. It feels bizarre to have severed the link with my mobile and email. It seems amazing to think back to the days of post restante and the novelty of direct dial international calls.

We ended up having an early Christmas at Sarah's parents this weekend and had some friends around for drinks on Sunday. Monday and Tuesday were spent chasing down last minute bits and pieces and finding out that we had inevitably over estimated on the capacity of our rucksacks. I ended up popping into Mr. B's book emporium yesterday to buy the next book for the North Wraxall book club. I am not sure how easy it will be to source the next book in South America so this may be the last. This installment is Paulo Coelho's 'The Alchemist'. It seems great so far, but more on that later as I have promised to blog some thoughts when I have finished it. Given how much travel time we have over the next few days I suspect that I'll be posting sooner rather than later.

Tonight we are staying the night at a hotel near Gatwick so that we can get to the airport for a 9am flight. We will be transferring in Houston for Quito and are due to arrive at 11pm local time. We don't have too much planned for the first few days as we acclimatise but I'm sure we will be able to find something fun to do. The next post will be from the Magic Bean in Quito (no sniggering please).

No comments: